Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Typical WeekNight at our House

Just thought I'd give you a glimpse into our lives on a weeknight after getting home from work and what the process looks like...

I arrive home from work after my 40 minute commute, Mr. Man has Brody on a walk, so I am alone for the moment.  My plan is to do laundry and grill pork chops for dinner for a low-key evening in our house.

  • I hang my coat on the hooks we installed in the mud/laundry room and go upstairs for the laundry basket.
  • Bring basket downstairs and start a load in the washing machine.While doing this I realize there's a load in the dryer from who remembers when, so I fold those clothes.
  • The sun is out so I pull up the shade on the window as I fold and realize the window is filthy.
  • I take the laundry upstairs and put it away before grabbing the Windex & paper towels to go downstairs and clean the window.
  • After spraying the window and wiping it down I realize that the dirt i'm seeing is on the outside, so I head outside in my slippers to clean the window out there.
  • Cleaning the window uses the last of the paper towel roll, so I head back inside to get a new roll and install it upstairs in the paper towel spot.
  • As I passed by the door to the guest room downstairs I find a blanket crumpled on the floor.  As I start to fold it Mr. Man arrives home and asks me my plans for that room. (At this point we had literally done Nothing to that room, and it was completely empty but for a blow-up mattress.)
  • I told him my plans, and he immediately got out his industrial demo-hammer and went to work taking apart the crooked crappy shelving while I headed upstairs to get dinner marinating.
  • While that's marinating I pull up my bank's website and research auto-pay for a new bill of ours.
  • After taking care of banking, I open the pantry and remember that stuffed peppers were part of my meal plan for the night, so I start throwing together a filling and stuffing it into the mini sweet peppers I had bought.
  • I fire up the Grill! (I absolutely LOVE having the grill right outside the French doors on our porch!)
  • I take advantage of this pre-heating moment to photograph my man during his Demo before putting our food on the grill.

  • When it's done I pry him away from his progress to eat dinner.  We finally have our few minutes of quiet together and enjoy our meal.

  • After dinner I go to put dirty dishes in the dishwasher, but it's full of clean dishes, so that has to get emptied and all dishes put away.
  • The leftover food gets put away, pans get washed, and the dishes get loaded into the dishwasher.
  • The empty beer bottles were headed for the recycle bin when I realized it was full, so I take it down to the garage bins to wait for trash day.
  • While downstairs, I realize that I never went back to switch the laundry, so the wash switches to the dryer, and Finally it's time to sit on the couch.
  • Before long Brody needs to go out, so he starts talking and nudging my elbow as I sit on the couch. After our 20 minute walk around the neighborhood it is finally time to be horizontal, off my feet, and go to sleep!!!

I know there are many people out there who have evenings that look like this.  There is always something to do, and I try to follow the mantra "Don't be Lazy" when a chore comes up that I'm less than enthused about doing.
Life is busy, and there's always lots to do, and I wish you all enough energy and dedication to do it!


  1. I think it's pretty awesome that within minutes of describing your plans for the Guest Bedroom, the shelves were demo'd!
    - Lora

  2. Learning to comment... Um ... DID IT!